WELCOME TO THE GINGIN OBSERVATORY, COME ALONG AND VIEW OUR SPECTACULAR NIGHT SKIES THROUGH OUR TELESCOPES AND LEARN ALL ABOUT OUR VAST UNIVERSE !
Have you ever gazed up into the night sky and wanted to know more about the mysteries that lay within the darkness? At the Gingin Observatory just a glance through a powerful telescope and some wisdom from our night sky enthusiasts can unlock at least some of the secrets of the universe we live in. This is just one of the facinating facts you'll walk away with thanks to our astronomers who are on hand to answer your questions and reveal what you're seeing through the telescopes. You will learn about " galactic cannibalism".... apparently big galaxies are rather partial to smaller ones and are prone to gobble them up! There are also planets ....Saturn; Mars or Jupiter at specific times of the year, It's enough to make your mind boggle so come along and join us for and entertaining evening and see and learn about some of the great wonders of our beautiful and brilliant Universe!.
At the Gingin Observatory visitors experience the wonders of space by viewing through our telescopes, engaging with astronomers and by interacting during a big screen presentation that highlights our beautiful universe. Our telescopes take you hurtling back in time revealing space as it was thousands years ago. If you're viewing a star that is 5000 light years away then you are actually seeing the light from that star as it was 5000 thousand years ago because that is how long it takes for that light to reach us here on Earth!
When you arrive you will see the Gingin Observatory building is split into two easily accessible ground-level areas. Walk into our reception/shop and theatre room where we begin the session with an introduction and presentation. Our viewing area has a fully retractable 7.5 tonne roof driven by a motor on either side. Once open our astronomers will take you on a laser-guided tour of the stars & constellations before introducing you to our telescopes will take you on a journey into deep space & beyond. While waiting your turn, check out our beautiful night sky with our high magnification binoculars.
GINGIN OBSERVATORY Astronomers took the world stage and helped locate & live feed the passing of ASTEROID DA14 to NASA and the rest of the world on February 16th 2013. We are now in the history books of astronomy for Western Australia! ASTEROID_2012_DA14.pdf - SEE THE- Footage from Gingin Observatory
Thankyou to our Galaxy Team for all the time, effort & skill they put into achieving this incredible feat. Over 9 million people in the US saw the coverage and the news footage was broadcast all over the world on the day . What a memorable adventure for all of us at the Gingin Observatory. Since then, the "Team" have gone on to be involved in other events in the Southern Hemisphere for NASA........WHAT'S NEXT ?
- WORRIED ABOUT THE TRAFFIC ? *Roads and Traffic Information
- PREPARE. ACT. SURVIVE Total Fire Ban Updates: http://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/totalfirebans/Pages/default.aspx
- WHAT CAN'T I DO IN A TOTAL FIREBAN ? http://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/totalfirebans/Pages/TotalFireBanWhatCantIDo.aspx
- ALERTS AND WARNINGS FROM FESA: Department of Fire and Emergency Services - Alerts and Warnings
- ECLIPSE WATCHING - For those who have telescopes and binoculars - we have an Eclipse on the 15th April 2014 - for more info click on this website: Eclipse's in Perth Western Australia
- LOOK AND BOOK - Early payment discounted prices !!!! there is a UNIVERSAL treasure trove of discounted nights available you just have to find them and book ... Please Note: Our prices vary on the daytime Solar Viewing or Stargazing Evening events.
- Stargazing Gift Vouchers -Why not buy a STARGAZING GIFT VOUCHER for that someone special or a Birthday or Anniversary gift! (Valid for only 6 months from date of purchase) # Call office or They can be found at GIFT VOUCHERS - SHOPPING IN SPACE**
- SOLAR EVENTS: We are open during the day from 9 am - 12 noon Tuesday - Saturday: Solar Viewing (Min booking is 10 people for an event) so why not book with us as a GROUP and SCHOOL / SCOUT Bookings available contact us for more information and booking form.
- We are approx 1 hour from Perth, we are on bitumen / tar road all the way, so why not make a day out by visiting the Gravity Discovery Centre ( right next door ) or West Coast Honey or 1300 Trail Rides or Caladenia Mini Golf and make a weekend and bring the family and stay and at one of our fantastic places overnight and then come and visit with us again in the evening at the Gingin Observatory
Online bookings are Easy: Check out the Events Calendar and make online booking by clicking on
Gingin Observatory is an Accredited Tourism Business and was a finalist in the 2010 Western Australian Tourism Awards!